After finding scorched carpet hidden under a strategically placed filing cabinet, BrickHouse Security employees turn to their own surveillance system to figure out exactly what happened. What they found was a cover up scandal engineered by the managers of their cleaning company, MD Building Services.
“All it takes is one spark to start a fire that can engulf a whole room in less than 15 minutes,” said Joe Hardiman, a BrickHouse Security employee and 20-year veteran of the Rockland County volunteer fire department. A statistic that Hardiman and the other 11,500 New York City firefighters see all too often. Little did Hardiman know that he would be citing this very statistic when explaining the potential disaster that he and his fellow coworkers faced at BrickHouse Security after a cleaning crew sparked an avoidable fire in their office.
The source of the fire was a vacuum cleaner whose frayed cord was taped together with non-electrical tape. All it took was one spark to ignite the cord and the newly installed carpet. What’s even worse? The cleaning company, MD Building Services, tried to cover up the scorched (and potentially smoldering) rug with a nearby filing cabinet to avoid blame. The office is located in a high rise building that houses commercial offices as well as over a thousand residents.
“The fact that the cleaning crew used a nearby filing cabinet to cover up the scorched rug to avoid blame is not only irresponsible, it’s down right foolhardy,” stated firefighter Hardiman. “When you install a rug, you use cement that contains volatile organic compounds, which can hugely increase the fire’s potential for survival and eventual re-ignition. By covering the fire’s source, the cleaning crew compounded the danger to the office and the residents of the apartment building by a hundred fold.”
The severity of the situation was revealed 13 days later when the filing cabinet was moved and the scorched rug was revealed. The security company referred to its surveillance tape and found all the evidence they needed to approach MD Building Services with the problem. “The tape shows the fire, the supervisor Luciano visiting the office to assess the damage, Luciano on the phone for over two minutes obviously speaking with his manager who in this case is Michael Redrup. The next part of the tape jumps to the filing cabinet miraculously moving 2 feet to cover the spot where the fire took place,” said Todd Morris, CEO of BrickHouse Security. “I knew I had to confront them about the potential danger they inflicted upon my office and the many residents of this building.”
When Morris called in MD Building Services Manager Michael Redrup and the cleaning crew’s direct supervisor Luciano, he began by asking them if they knew where the burn mark on the rug came from. Both Luciano and Redrup spent over three minutes crawling on hands and knees explaining that they had “no idea what it could be” and after inspecting the burn spot and concurring that it was probably from a “cigar or cigarette.”
“I asked them what would happen if something like that happened on a cleaning shift, and who would the cleaning crew potentially notify. They explained that the cleaners are instructed to call their direct supervisor (Luciano) who in turn is supposed to call his manager, in this case Michael Redrup,” explained Morris. “When I asked them if the cleaning crew had indeed called them in this case to alert them of the problem, both employees of MD Building Services insisted that they had not been notified.” Then Morris showed the two MD Building Services employees the video tape, clearly placing Luciano at the scene on the phone with whom is probably his manager, Michael Redrup.
“At first, Luciano tried to tell me that he was on the phone with another client, not indeed his manager. When I told him that we’re a security company and even have devices that can forensically determine who he was talking to, his tune changed.” Both men replied “it was bad judgment.” When the owner of MD Building Services, Michael Carlin was asked about the incident, he also responded that it was “bad judgment.” Carlin was unavailable for further comment.
No, this is not just a case of bad judgment. This is a case of reckless endangerment and it could have meant a fire severe enough to engulf the entire office as well as the adjoining office buildings. The combination of poor judgment, the use of shoddy equipment, and the blatant cover up attempt puts MD Building Services in a very poor light that should make any office owner wary of hiring this company.Read More →