Security cameras caught the craigslist killer in Boston. His friends say that he seemed normal. This brings up the question: How do you really know someone? The perceived notion of anonymity gives comfort to some and fear to others. When one can’t trust their friend or neighbor, how do we give so much trust to strangers?
Top Ten Ways to be Safe On Craigslist
1) Insist on a public meeting place like a cafe
2) Tell a friend or family member where you’re going
3) Take your cell phone along if you have one
4) Consider having a friend accompany you
5) Trust your instincts
6) Go to CraigsCrimeList, a blog that tracks crime on craiglist
7) Research scams online. Do not wire money to anyone
8) Flag questionable posts to warn others away
9) Report any suspicious activity to authorities
10) Keep information such as your home address out of your craigslist advertisement. Ask people to contact you via telephone or email.